Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Poll: best method for final imaging from LRGB filter files
Poll Options
best method for final imaging from LRGB filter files

Old 24-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Thomo47 (Daryl)

Final composite imagining question

I need help or directions in final imagining of Saturn. After a clear night for viewing, I have taken 700 to 800 AVI frames for each LRGB filter of Saturn using a ZWO ASI290mm CCD camera when previously only ever used a DSLR or a ZWO120mc-s camera. The scope used is a 180mm Maksutov Casse-grain with a 2x TV powermate.
Each AVI filter file has 700 to 800 frames taken over a period of 30 seconds to 90 seconds which have been individually centred and quality ordered in PIPP software. So far great, these AVI files are showing good contrast and detail in all the LRGB frames of both cloud formation and rings, but no moons due to 800 x 600 captive size and exposure time.
In the next step I processed each LRGB file in AutoSkakkert AS!2 taking 20%, 40%, 60%, and 80% stacked images and only selecting the best image frames from the stacks (16 images reduced to 4 of the better ie the 80%).
What I ask now is; what software program should I use to combine these 4 images into a single composite image? Also do I need to sharpen each image before the composite, or after?
I have Adobe photoshop elements 15, would this software be sufficient and if so, what are the steps to use for the final composite image? Alternatively, is there a good tutorial available for me to use.
I'm asking these questions hoping someone can help me, with simple to follow instructions. Also I'll be asking these same questions in CloudyNights and ZWO users group.
Note, I have attached a stacked luminance file of Saturn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2 Saturn lum fw2 10_55_37Z_pipp_g3_ap26_conv.jpg)
5.8 KB11 views