Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-08-2015, 02:56 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

moonlight gradients

Hi all,
I took some shots Tuesday night away from the Moon and when the Moon went down. I have flats already taken with my system but I am anticipating a large gradient from Moonlight - any tips on best process for removing this?
I have Star Tools but often when I use Wipe it makes the image very contrasty and hard looking.
I have Pixinsight but have never used properly the DBE command (nor any others!)
I have PS 5 and rarely use that.
Cheers
Graham
Old 28-08-2015, 03:20 PM
SpaceNoob (Chris)
Atlas Observatory

If you're using PixInsight, I'd assume such things as moon / other external light sources would be additive effects. Whatever routine you use, try a subtraction method.

DBE should get you close but you may need to do it a few times. I.e one run against the first one, then do another (new) dbe against the first DBE result.
Old 28-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Use DBE.

Set your sample size to 15 and number per row to 25.

Tolerance to 0.5, minimum weight to 0.1 (default is 0.75) and then generate the samples. Remove any samples which fall on features that you wish to not be affected by gradient removal. If you get lots of red samples, then increase your tolerance by 0.1 and then press resize all, until all the red ones disappear.

Then as Chris mentioned above, select subtract and away you go.

H
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Use DBE.

+1 PI: DBE

I prefer number per row to be 7 or 9 to force the subtracted image to be smooth. Any sampled points close to bright objects I move away to avoid glow effecting the removal image. Likewise milky way and nebulosity move sample points away.

I tend to crop first after integration to centre my item of interest before DBE to avoid vignetting and edge of shot artifacts, So the DBE has a good plate to work off. plenty of online tutorials on using DBE, its difficult to ever get it wrong once you go through one.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi Graham,

DBE, but very few samples only (the gradient from moonlight is smooth so few (around 10) well placed samples across the image are adequate), I place them manually avoiding stars and any nebulosity if possible.

From my experience, many samples per row will result in subtracting more than just the moonlight - it might be needed though if flats are under-correcting.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Good point about using fewer samples for Moonlight, gents.

I've taken to applying an extreme STF stretch to the working image to see where the nebulosity extends to, or any faint features, and delete any samples which fall on those areas.

H
Old 03-09-2015, 01:01 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

you can always do DBE a couple of times if the shot needs it, or keep the subtraction image and use pixel math to apply it again at a different percentage amount. PM is a powerful tool when you understand a bit more about whats needed. A lot of PixInsights tools can be duplicated using PixelMath and that gives you finer control and flexibility. Not an expert myself but part of my workflow uses it, I adapted an unrelated intermediate step from a tutorial I tried.

using STF is great to have a look at whats hiding in the signal to bring out or protect. Another trick I use is to plate solve my starting integration image and render an annotated image. Makes it easy to see if you've got a Messier or NGC target large enough in the shot to try to bring out. Sometime I go back over old data and use dynamic alignment around something i didnt realise I was shooting instead of just the star alignment.

Hope someone comes up with a tool to take all my plate solve integrated images and assemble a full sky mosaic for me or index all the deep space items I've captured My astrophotography is half random and half planned, I love exploring my shots.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:49 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

If you want to use Photoshop, use Annie's Astro Actions - she has a couple gradient removal tools that work VERY well.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham.hobart View Post
Hi all,
I took some shots Tuesday night away from the Moon and when the Moon went down. I have flats already taken with my system but I am anticipating a large gradient from Moonlight - any tips on best process for removing this?
I have Star Tools but often when I use Wipe it makes the image very contrasty and hard looking.
I have Pixinsight but have never used properly the DBE command (nor any others!)
I have PS 5 and rarely use that.
Cheers
Graham
After using Wipe in ST, do another autodev, makes all the difference!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-
Cheers
Andy