Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 08:05 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

June Observing Challenge - NGC6397 (Ara Glob)

Hi all.

We'd love you to take part in the June Observing Challenge. Please post your observing reports and sketches for NGC6397 in this thread. Discussions about the object can also be in this thread.

Please ensure scanned sketches obey the image posting guidelines when you attach them.

For deep-space images of the object, see the "Deep Space" astrophotography forum.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:57 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

This is one of my all time fave globs that I come back to time and time again. Very easy to find and it shows very nice resolution even in small telescopes. My first views of this was in a 76mm newtonian and it resolved nicely at about 100x. Views are magnificient even from mag 5.5 suburban skies (superb from mag 7 ++ skies). Even at a low 61x this glob will show resolution in a 76-80mm scope. Fully resolved in my C6 at 166x. This is one of the closer globs to us and from memory its brightest stars are magnitude 10. Also one of the few globs that look more like open clusters at powers of about 300x. see my sketch of it at:

http://www.geocities.com/dhumpie/dastro/6397.jpg
Old 06-06-2005, 06:10 PM
atalas

again very nice sketch Darren .

Louie
Old 07-06-2005, 06:02 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

Actually that is a very old sketch and I think I did that using a 76mm newtonian. I did a very detailed sketch (took me 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete) using my C6 at different mags to get a composit ala O'Meara. Problem is it does not scan out very well. I might have to make a copy of it (doing it bolder) so I can get a good scan. Will post when I get it done.

Darren