Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-03-2014, 10:17 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Faint structures streaming from LMC

LMC + SMC - looks like there may have been a collision between the two. Could the LMC actually be a spiral galaxy? Full spectrum modded 6D, Siggy 35mm f1.4 at f2.2, ISO1600, 20s,60s & 180s, on lens vis+Ha (Spencer's).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Magellenic Clouds140326.jpg)
202.9 KB241 views
Old 26-03-2014, 10:22 AM
gregbradley

You are breaking new ground here. I haven't seen what appear to be tidal streams coming off LMC before.

Greg.
Old 26-03-2014, 10:35 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

I haven't seen them before either. I was nearly going to dismiss them as cloud bombs, but they showed up in shots from 3 different astro shoots. Couldn't find anything on the internet either. I always thought the LMC & SMC were elliptical galaxies.
Old 26-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

Nice work there Cazza,
I do recall reading somewhere that the LMC is classified as a Barred Spiral which surprised me but can't recall where at the moment.

PS. Just checked it was in Sky Safari Pro on the iPad that refers to it as a Spiral Galaxy

Last edited by Nico13; 26-03-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 26-03-2014, 10:59 AM
alpal

That's a very interesting pic.

You can make out the distorted spiral structure.
Old 26-03-2014, 12:48 PM
dvj (John)

Not unknown to professionals, but I don't think I've seen many amateur images of this structure called the Magellanic Stream. Extremely faint. You must have shooting from an extremely dark site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellanic_Stream

And here is a deep, inverted stretch of the area...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/4...n/photostream/
Old 26-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I can't remember who it was, but, someone from Perth posted images about 5 years ago showing the same tidal stream structure, too.

It only shows up in deep exposures.

Beautiful stuff.

H
Old 26-03-2014, 01:49 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Fascinating and stunning image. What was total exposure time ?
Old 26-03-2014, 02:42 PM
alexch (Alex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza132 View Post
LMC + SMC - looks like there may have been a collision between the two. Could the LMC actually be a spiral galaxy? Full spectrum modded 6D, Siggy 35mm f1.4 at f2.2, ISO1600, 20s,60s & 180s, on lens vis+Ha (Spencer's).
Hi Troy,

Indeed LMC is a barred (peculiar) spiral galaxy and its spiral structure was confirmed by Shapley in 1931. In one of the early papers - "Studies of the Magellanic Clouds", De Vaucouleurs (1955) noted the faint 20-degree long filament stretching out of the LMC (see Plate II in the paper). De Vaucouleurs estimated the luminosity of this filament at 25/26 mag/arcsec^2 - rather faint. I overlaid your inverted and stretched mage with the Plate II from the paper and the long LMC streamer does match. Proper calibration would improve your data, but some of that faint stuff is indeed real. I attached a small animated gif and larger version is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ouds140326.gif

Trying to find out about the possible collision between LMC and SMC I came across this paper by Heller and Rohlfs (1994) where they model orbits of LMC and SMC and suggest that a close collision between the two occurred about 500 Million years ago. Later studies suggest an off center, moderate to highly-inclined collision between the SMC and the LMC's disk that took place between 100 and 200 Million years ago (Casetti-Dinescu et al. 2012).

Cheers,
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Magellenic-Clouds_small.gif)
197.3 KB55 views

Last edited by alexch; 26-03-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 26-03-2014, 04:06 PM
atalas

I'm sure Ive seen the tidal tale somewhere before but still very nice Pic.
Old 26-03-2014, 04:53 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Given what Alex has done there Troy it looks like your data is relatively sound, in fact I think you have revealed more extensions and more detail than the Aero Ekta lens did. The individual circular frames of old B&W film data look to have suffered from vignetting and thus without the modern technique of flats available to them and after mozaicing the circular frames together the faint extensions are probably not complete..?

Nice work and another example of why THIS may well not make me a deluded emperor

MIke
Old 26-03-2014, 06:11 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Hi Cazza, you may wish to go into this thread to get some really good info on the LMC.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...16#post1068216
Some very good observers and knowledgable people there.
Cheers
Old 26-03-2014, 07:52 PM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Wow - cheers, thank you Alex! Interesting info too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexch View Post
Hi Troy,

Indeed LMC is a barred (peculiar) spiral galaxy and its spiral structure was confirmed by Shapley in 1931. In one of the early papers - "Studies of the Magellanic Clouds", De Vaucouleurs (1955) noted the faint 20-degree long filament stretching out of the LMC (see Plate II in the paper). De Vaucouleurs estimated the luminosity of this filament at 25/26 mag/arcsec^2 - rather faint. I overlaid your inverted and stretched mage with the Plate II from the paper and the long LMC streamer does match. Proper calibration would improve your data, but some of that faint stuff is indeed real. I attached a small animated gif and larger version is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ouds140326.gif

Trying to find out about the possible collision between LMC and SMC I came across this paper by Heller and Rohlfs (1994) where they model orbits of LMC and SMC and suggest that a close collision between the two occurred about 500 Million years ago. Later studies suggest an off center, moderate to highly-inclined collision between the SMC and the LMC's disk that took place between 100 and 200 Million years ago (Casetti-Dinescu et al. 2012).

Cheers,
Alex
Old 26-03-2014, 07:54 PM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Thanks for the heads up Ron. Quite a detailed read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Hi Cazza, you may wish to go into this thread to get some really good info on the LMC.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...16#post1068216
Some very good observers and knowledgable people there.
Cheers
Old 26-03-2014, 08:01 PM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Thanks Mike, atalas, ZeroID, Octane, dvj, alpal and Nico13. 4x180s, 4x60s and 4x20s subs, 35mm, f2.2, ISO1600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Given what Alex has done there Troy it looks like your data is relatively sound, in fact I think you have revealed more extensions and more detail than the Aero Ekta lens did. The individual circular frames of old B&W film data look to have suffered from vignetting and thus without the modern technique of flats available to them and after mozaicing the circular frames together the faint extensions are probably not complete..?

Nice work and another example of why THIS may well not make me a deluded emperor

MIke
Quote:
Originally Posted by atalas View Post
I'm sure Ive seen the tidal tale somewhere before but still very nice Pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Fascinating and stunning image. What was total exposure time ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I can't remember who it was, but, someone from Perth posted images about 5 years ago showing the same tidal stream structure, too.

It only shows up in deep exposures.

Beautiful stuff.

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvj View Post
Not unknown to professionals, but I don't think I've seen many amateur images of this structure called the Magellanic Stream. Extremely faint. You must have shooting from an extremely dark site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellanic_Stream

And here is a deep, inverted stretch of the area...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/4...n/photostream/
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
That's a very interesting pic.

You can make out the distorted spiral structure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico13 View Post
Nice work there Cazza,
I do recall reading somewhere that the LMC is classified as a Barred Spiral which surprised me but can't recall where at the moment.

PS. Just checked it was in Sky Safari Pro on the iPad that refers to it as a Spiral Galaxy
Old 26-03-2014, 08:38 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

As mentioned by Ron, we are discussing the structure and history of the LMC in the "Observation reports" forum.

I have just posted a link to a slide presentation on the nature of Magellanic Spiral galaxies (= the Hubble type SBd), which is the accepted galaxy classification of the LMC.
I have also given some more information in my recent post about the general structure of the LMC .
Old 26-03-2014, 09:18 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexch View Post

Indeed LMC is a barred (peculiar) spiral galaxy and its spiral structure was confirmed by Shapley in 1931. In one of the early papers - "Studies of the Magellanic Clouds", De Vaucouleurs (1955) noted the faint 20-degree long filament stretching out of the LMC

came across this paper by Heller and Rohlfs (1994) where they model orbits of LMC and SMC and suggest that a close collision between the two occurred about 500 Million years ago. Later studies suggest an off center, moderate to highly-inclined collision between the SMC and the LMC's disk that took place between 100 and 200 Million years ago (Casetti-Dinescu et al. 2012).

Cheers,
Alex
Up-do-date info about the LMC and SMC can be found, in truly massive quantities, in the IAU Symposium S256:
http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ue?iid=5005528

Get ready to expand your brain drastically, as the information content here is absolutely massive!
I think many of these are pretty hard papers...... certainly much tougher to read than the early papers written in the 1950s to 1970s on the two magellanic clouds.
Old 26-03-2014, 11:41 PM
alexch (Alex)

Quote:
Wow - cheers, thank you Alex! Interesting info too.
No worries - your image is a nice work! It would be interesting to know if the streamers are more prominent in H-alpha or visual subs.
Old 28-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Phil Hart

Impressive image Troy and nicely processed. A surprising result given the relatively short exposure times. I hadn't recorded anything obvious on previous attempts at this but clearly I'll have to give it another go with the newer gear. You've composed the two clouds very nicely as well.

Phil
Old 28-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

fascinating result Troy. looks like f2 helps with deep imaging