View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 07:46 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
One annoying problem with the 1600 is the lack of Anti-Reflective coating on the sensor. It can cause some bad reflections on bright stars sometimes.
For those who are not up to date on the reflection discussion with ZWO, this is likely a problem with all ZWO mono cameras, and from what i can determine it is an issue with most mono sensor cameras including the QHY versions of the 1600. The reasons come down to this: Panasonic, who manufactures the sensor, does not have non-reflective sensor cover glass supplies and uses the standard coverglass. Even if ZWO had asked for a different coverglass it is unlikely to have been able to cost effectively built for such a small number of sensors in a production run. The front chamber window is indeed AR but the reflections come about because of the highly reflective surface of the mono sensor (which does not have a Bayer Matrix covering it, and thus damping reflectivity) reflects light back into the sensor cover glass. The reflection, or flaring, only appears in certain circumstances ( and Alnitak is the usual culpret). Care in composition and framing can avoid it once you are aware of it. That said, for most DSO, nebulas, and planetary work, it will never be a concern.

Anti-reflective sensor coverglass is available from Astronomic in APS-C sizes (and is required when DSLR sensors are debayered to mono sensors). I have used it on the Canon 450Ds that i debayered, but the risks associated with changing a 1600 cover glass are extreme due to the way the sensor is constructed - so not really an option for owners but perhaps Central DS could do it if you had enough money.

Last edited by glend; 09-04-2018 at 08:00 AM.