Thread: Saturn's Moons
View Single Post
Old 29-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Interesting exercise Bob. I shall try next year as Saturn’s opposition approaches.
This reminds me of my little project to bag a detailed observation of each of the 11 events for the Jovian moons; occultation - disappearance & reappearance, eclipse - disappearance & reappearance, transit - ingress, transit & egress, shadow - ingress, transit and egress and a concurrent moon and shadow transit.
I have bagged a good observation of each of these events, except for Callisto where i am missing an occultation disappearance, a shadow egress and a concurrent moon and shadow transit. Because of Callisto’s wide orbit these only occur approximately every 6.5. when the orbital plan lines up with Earth. I have to be patient till some time in 2020/21, I think before I can complete all of these observations.
Steve, I never noticed your reply till now. I admire your organised approach and this now prompts me to taking a similar approach to make sure that I see all the Jovian events. Yes, thanks, because I was also wondering when Callisto was to again be in play.

I really enjoyed breaking the 'new' ground with Saturn last year. However, I was not happy with my grab and go setup, but that has now been corrected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180116_113131.jpg)
205.5 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (20180116_113123.jpg)
198.1 KB29 views