View Single Post
Old 25-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Thanks for the tips Sil.

I've got a small red torch, which does the job well. When I first step outside it's little more than a very faint glow, but as the eyes get accustomed to the dark it's very effective indeed.

I haven't located any nearby groups yet (The ASWA group that Robert kindly mentioned looks good but it's fairly expensive to join and meets too far away from where I live to be convenient, so I'll leave them for a while yet) However, I have been given some local leads to follow up.

I haven't done any sketching yet but have started putting up a small camping table next to the telescope when I set up, so it's on the do to list!

The weather has been very kind since I began, with only a couple of nights with clouds. So - with the aid of Stellarium - I've been able to identify a number of the brighter stars and can now use them to get a general feel for where I'm looking. Apart from getting a better view of moon craters, I've also been able to see Jupiter and its moons and also a rather lovely crescent Venus. Also what looks like the Southern Pleiades. Saturn was a bit more elusive - partly because there were trees in the way early in the night, but mostly because I mistook Arcturus for Antares and was therefore looking at completely the wrong spot! No wonder I couldn't see any rings.... Doh... However, I was about to pack up when I finally got a good sighting - in the right place - at 1.30 in the morning. Well past when I usually stop!

Modest steps, but I feel that I've made good progress in only two weeks and been fortunate with what I've been able to see so far. I've also got a couple of books, and I'll check out the apps that you mentioned, so there's plenty to be getting on with.

Thanks to everybody for the encouragement.

cheers,

Chris.