View Single Post
Old 24-02-2013, 12:37 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

My question was prompted by eggy stars in unguided images. I was surprised that I was unable to take round stars using my PMX. I suspected that it was poor PA. I had a PA report suggesting that I was 8 arcminutes too low. But as I had a 150 point TPoint model, I could slew quite accurately despite this. However, with poor PA, I would still get eggy stars.

Turning on guiding, I had a much better result.

So Peter's first point in his post is what I had anticipated.

To illustrate, attached are screenshots from the central portion of 2 images. Both have integration times of 120 seconds. The scope is an RC8 with a QSI583 binned x2. This gives me a plate scale of about 1.39 arc seconds/pixel. The first is unguided, the second guided. You can see the difference.

I'm sure that collimation is also at play here so its not just the mount/PA.

The eggy stars are across the field so I don't think its field curvature.

I've since refined my PA - the PA report suggests that I can lower my mount 1.8 arc minutes while az is excellent. This gives me Sky RMS of 92.2. This is with a 20 point model which I used to smarten up the PA. he attached pics were taken before I did this.

The next step is to obtain a bigger model, turn on Protrack and then check the PE.

Out of interest, is anyone surprised by this performance? The scope has a focal length of 1604mm which is not exactly long and I'd have hoped to have longer subs than 2 minutes without eggy stars - but that may be explained by the PA.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 12.22.38 PM.png)
111.2 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 12.22.49 PM.png)
100.5 KB23 views