View Single Post
Old 18-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Jowel,

I got the 12" collapsible after the age old question of " will I want the bigger one in a month from now?" considering there was a $700 difference between the 10" and the 12", I would have to say the 12" isnt worth the extra $700...

Having said that, the other day, I had my 12" collapsible DOB and my 8" on the HEQ5 pro side by side with 13mm eyepieces in each.

Looking at NGC 253 (Silver coin Galaxy) in Sculptor with these two side by side showed a SLIGHTLY brighter galaxy on the 12" over the 8"....TRUE STORY! A few more details on the 12" but not so much to make much difference.

I know everyone will now throw radius and light gathering equations at you etc etc but realistic comparison on both my scopes didnt make much of a difference.

The 8 and the 10 have the same length and focal length so I would suggest that unless you have an extra $200 for the 10",, get the 8" for $499.

AND, my serious suggestion is to consider the GOTO version, convenience of computer control and finding is something I am Hooked on now, with my HEQ5, star hopping with my 12" is OK, but getting very very old now I have goto.

Chris