View Single Post
Old 14-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Placesinthedark (Stephen)

Got the 10" Dob! Thanks all

Hi all,

Got the 10" dob from Astro-Anarchy. Pete was great to deal with and helped out with my over-obsession with 2" pieces lol. I was about to get an 8" but Pete was like "just get the 10" and I'll help out getting a 2" eyepiece" he spoke my girlfriend's language as he said I wouldn't need to upgrade - after that, I knew she approved and it was time to buy!

I was able to set it up same day and had two nights of great observing and I love it so much more than the 90GT wifi. Firstly, it's so much easier just moving the scope myself, the set up is easy and it's an impressive unit to behold impressing many.

What surprised me most was the Orion barlow I had worked really well, probably from the gain in light from the 90mm to the 250. I was looking at a nebula in the small Magellanic cloud and by god the things I could see! I saw what looked like actual dust swirls, and the longer I looked and let my eyes adjust the better it got. It's like using a VHS (90GT) and then upgrading to Blu-Ray.

It's a comfortable height to sit down next to and view from 45 to zenith so I feel pretty lucky it works out so well.

The 2" inch eyepiece needs to be taken out a little from the focuser to get it to actually focus but it's no big deal.

The set up for the 90GT was such a pain, but the dob stays in the shed where the temperature is closer to outside so it doesn't need a long cool down.

Overall a great buy and I hope QLD people give Astro-Anarchy a try, I wish they stocked the GSO dobs with all the bells and whistles but at the end of the day they are all pretty similar