View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Another Star Adventurer lover here

I find the polar scope OK but unless you’re good at weird angle contortion, you probably want it set comfortably high to avoid causing an injury. I use a (fairly heavy duty) camera tripod that I already had, and it’s nice and stable. I level the SA wedge and then use my phone compass to point south. I’ve usually got the SCP asterism in the polar scope at that point. The adjustments (especially Altitutde) have a little backlash but they’re predictable so it’s pretty easy to get the stars in the little circles.

It tracks pretty well too, although I originally bought it for widefield, just camera plus lens, this past weekend I was taking shots using a 200mm lens and getting nice round stars about 50% of the time.
The longer Dovetail bar that comes with it has the Dec platform (with 1/4” screw) that rotates with a control knob, and at the other end of the bar there is another 3/8” screw proud so I figured I’d mount my ball head on that and attach my little ZWO guide scope to it...and got almost 100% success rate at 200mm.

For my imaging scope I use a NEQ6, so the SA is refreshing in that it can be setup in minutes with very little effort, and if the weather turns can just be picked up and moved under cover