View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
I'll agree to disagree here doug. I bought the sbig cos QHY could not fix my QHY9. It was unusable for 4 months from when I bought it. I was told it just needed new drivers with better clamping, which where not available. The camera was finally swapped 4 months later after a lot of screaming by me. The new drivers where still not available then, but the camera swap fixed my problem. This indicates a quality control problem to me and I also wonder who got my old camera?

The sbig drivers update over the Internet automagically.

There is no comparison in build quality, the sbig is far superior, have you seen inside one? Design is also part of build quality.

As for backup service, theo really does go out of his way, but when I had fogging problems with the sbig, matt from sbig was on the email to me within 24hours and we sorted it out in a few nights, not 4 months. I know theo's hands were tied at the time as the cameras where in short supply.

Coolling is the big one, qhy wins hands down.

I wouldn't mind another cooled OSC, there's always a place for one here.
As I said in an earlier post Robin the QHY range is now being made by a large electronics company in China just as the SBIG camera. I doubt there is much if anything in build quality these days.
Problems will and do happen and from where I sit QHY have been prepared to work through problems, allow them to be advertised on their forum and make everyone aware of them. SBIG forum doesn't have any problems listed, perfect I doubt, secretive maybe.

Your particular problem was a rather strange problem which was resolved and I believe a loan camera was supplied. I may be wrong but thought that was the case.

It is hard to compare a one man company with an American Astronomy Icon but in $ terms I know which way I will lean.