View Single Post
Old 31-07-2018, 01:38 PM
assbutt94

Quote:
Originally Posted by middy View Post
Keeping the histogram away from the right side is correct, to avoid saturating the bright parts of the image. I usually aim for around 70% across for the histogram.

The problem with using the fastest exposure is that you are capturing very little signal in each frame (the histogram would be well over to the left). You are then cranking the gain right up to the max to shift the histogram accross to the right. Using the gain to amplify the signal also amplifies the noise. Mars is a nice bright target so you can crank the gain right down (maybe even down to 30%, experiment a bit) and use a longer exposure time to catch more signal. Use longer exposure time to shift the histogram right and avoid amplifying the noise unnecessarily. The only time I needed to use 100% gain was when I was trying to image Neptune and Uranus, which are much harder to image.

I look forward to seeing your next attempt.

cheers,
Andrew
Thanks for the tips. I was under the impression the ASI120MC performs better at higher gain, and having a faster shutter speed would help freeze the movements in the atmosphere. Ill try again this coming weekend hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
That is a lot better than my attempt with a very similar scope (see below).

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=168739

I have been waiting for someone who captured Mars with the same or similar setup to me so I can compare and see if I am doing anything wrong. I felt that I had trouble focusing as mine looks really blurry.

- Did you let your scope cool down to the outside temp before imaging?
- Did you use any dew straps or shield?

I noticed you are in Sydney so maybe the atmospheric conditions were different from Melbourne.

Thanks!
I need to make up a thing to attach to my focuser to increase the knobs diameter and make focusing a bit easier. I also find it very touchy.

I shot the video from near Oberon at a camp ground, the scope had cooled down as i set up at 9pm and captured at midnight. Skippysky rated seeing as an 8.
I had to use my dew strap (dew-not) and a dew controller, everything other than my optics were frosting up by 930. I also have a dew shield and a good EQ Mount.
It was a bad night to forget my thermal pants, trackies and boots.
My re-attempt will be from home in Penrith.