View Single Post
Old 28-11-2009, 09:50 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrod00d View Post
The question is, if I locate a QHY8 in front of a C8, will the QHY8 create too large an obstruction? The QHY8 is 100mm square, and the C8 is only 200mm diameter...

Has anyone here tried a large-ish camera such as the QHY8 on a Hyperstar and C8? Any opinions from those in the know would be valuable before I rush out and spend my money

Edit: Starizona reckon it works fine! http://starizona.com/acb/hyperstar/hyperstar3/

Cheers,

Rob
Yay! A new HS user I have one for the C11 so I can't comment but Terry's happy with it so go for it. As far as FOV's concerned, not sure you'll get much wider than your refractor. My C11+HS3 gives me very similar field as my 5" at F/5, but I can take 30s exposures instead of 15min ones. I'm just getting back into it now that I have finished aligning the optics on my C11. Did a few test last night. B.E.A.U.tiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGuy View Post
Rob,

I highly recommend the hyperstar. The obstruction by area of the QHY8 is ~25% so its not a big penalty.

I am using a C8 hyperstar with a QHY9 which has slightly more obstruction again but I'm very impressed. Attached is a single unguided 60 second exposure of the horsehead nebula.

Pros - Inexpensive, very fast, excellent edge-edge sharpness. Fantastic value for money.

Cons - Bright stars cast funky reflections. Also some might not like the diffraction spike caused by the cabling.

Terry
I have bought right angle cabling which I still have to put in place. So the central power goes straight down and the S-video and USB are 90 degrees on each side so I can make a spider vane pattern. If you don't separate the cabling you get one big fat horizontal diffraction spike across the stars. I've also seen those secondary reflections with a C11+HS3 combo on the QHYCCD forum. They reckon it could be reflections caused byt the corrector plate. I haven't investigated further yet as I haven't had the problem (yet) and haven't started using it "in production" mode.

Last edited by multiweb; 28-11-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling