View Single Post
Old 28-06-2020, 07:54 AM
Imme (Jon)

Hi Franco, (I saw your message but will reply here for ‘knowledge bank’ reasons.
I my opinion 15’ is pretty low on the horizon and you really will be battling plenty of additional atmosphere to capture those photons. Personally I won’t go any lower than 27’ when imaging.....30’ is my preference.
As for where to park your scope - I’ve actually set up a custom park position on mine that sees the RA more or less horizontal and the DEC pointing down at around 75’. I do this so when my imaging runs finish the scope can be automatically parked in a position that won’t allow dust to settle on the front lens meaning there is no need for a cap.
You asked about waterproofing in the message - basically my roof hangs over and is lower than the walls....that is all that is needed to keep the water out.....it doesn’t go uphill hahahaha. If you are concerned about dust I’d be using that continue brush material that is used as a weather seal on doors.
You also asked about having the end walls fold down - one end of mine does (north) and one doesn’t (south). I’ve never been faced with an issue of not being able to image because of this....you are only blocking a very small amount of sky when you take into account earth rotation.

If I was you I would be working out the highest point your scope will be and then add a little safety margin....this should be your roof pitch height.

Remember though that making a shorter pier from scratch will be much cheaper than building a higher ob’s to fit an existing pier in.......just my thought.