View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 09:56 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Looking at your photograph at bit more carefully, I am assuming the pic is through the a collimation cap? For what I am seeing is the secondary is not cocentric to the cap. The lower right edge of the secondary is obscured by the edge of the cap. The reflections seen in the secondary tell me the same story.

Despite the crosshairs of the Cheshire being busted, the tube itself if what makes it critical for centering the secondary. Don't worry about any offseting of the secondary for now. Unless you are doing photography it is not that significant, and for now it is only going to make things more complicated.

Collimating a Newt is not hard. But because of the various elements that are involved, it can make keeping track of everything very difficult and all the reflections only add to the confusion.

Are you familiar with the Collimating page from AstroBaby? It is a really good guide to the processes involved, trouble shooting, analysing optical issues that star images give, and the differences between fast f/ratios slow f/ratios throw up in the collimation process.

http://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/...ian-reflector/

When you are all well and truly ready to take to the scope with a hammer, this is when you walk away and do something else for a while. Frustration feeds on itself, and won't help you sort out the problem at hand. And Collimating a Newt can make a hammer look mighty appealing!

Have a little read of AstroBaby's page, even if you know it all already. It will help calm and re-focus your attention to the job at hand. We here while wanting to help are also limited in how well we can guide sometimes.

Like I said in my earlier post, crosshairs are not essential, so don't turf out the Cheshire as it needs to be used exactly the same way for everything - centering of the secondary to the focuser, squaring the secondary (rotation), and for tweaking its alignment to the donut in primary's centre - used exactly the same way as a collimation cap. A laser will do none of these. A laser will only help with the very last fine tweaking of the secondary's collimation screws, but ONLY the very last fine tweaking!. The laser will only serve to screw things up even more if the secondary is not right. Leave the laser to deal with that very final tweaking of the secondary as it's sole purpose is really JUST FOR THE PRIMARY.

Alex.