View Single Post
Old 14-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
To me there is no point doing image processing work of any kind if your monitor isn't calibrated. Calibration tools are cheap as chips now.
I think there is no point doing image processing if you have not calibrated your monitor to ensure you have good tonal range across the bright and dark end of the range. But you can do that quite effectively using calibration charts.

At least for me, with a *quality* monitor, having adjusted brightness settings, it's easy to see that my colours are ok. My Dell U2410 (which I love) has stupid 'warm' and 'cool' settings, but the sRGB setting is clearly giving a good result. I look at my images on loads of monitors, projectors, prints etc all over the place.. and within their various limitations they look fine. Of course there are plenty of cheaper monitors that have colour bias that are much harder to work with.

It's just at the extreme end of the gamut (eg bioluminescence) where things start getting tricky in terms of how that looks to somebody viewing in colour managed applications on a wider gamut monitor. I'm getting my head around it more.. and I've ordered a big book on the topic .