Thread: Orion focuser
View Single Post
Old 23-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

No worries Alex,

It sounds as though you are on the right path at this stage.

With respect to the safety of installing drivers; generally if windows itself initiates a windows driver it is generally safe. If you obtain a driver from the original software/hardware manufacturer's site it is generally safe or, if you you use a link from the genuine website of the software/hardware manufacturer it is generally safe... I use that word generally as there can be exceptions but, if it is from a legitimate source you are usually okay.

I generally avoid getting drivers from 3rd party companies who are not in anyway linked with the manufacturer or developer of a product. Usually, you are not required to pay for driver updates so, avoid those as well as often they are just someone trying to make money off you.

If you ever need ASCOM drivers (quite a lot of Astro software uses ASCOM to interface one piece of equipment with another or with a different software - ie: camera's with Sharpcap is one example), simply go to the ASCOM site or the camera manufacturer site & they will have the appropriate ASCOM driver...

If you get stuck, you should hopefully have my number in a previous PM, don't hesitate to call me, if I can help you work through it I will. As always, no promises but, it sounds as though you might be making some progress..

Cheers