View Single Post
Old 16-10-2018, 06:10 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filippo View Post
Yes, that’s right, I’m seriously asking this question.

I’ve just set up my Celestron 4SE. I found a distant object, in daylight, and used it to align my finderscope. Job done.

However...

While I was doing it I really struggled to get a consistent image from the eyepiece of the scope. I’d be looking through it, seeing my target, then all of a sudden it would all go black like I’m looking at the inside of the eyepiece, rather than through it. Clearly, I must be moving...or blinking...but it seems a hell of a lot harder than I imagined.

Is this normal? Am I a complete cretin? Is there a particular technique to this that I’m not aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Each eyepiece has a different amount of eye relief, or distance your eye should be from the lens in order to see the full image. With low power eyepieces, which normally have long eye relief, you can get too close and will have part or all of the image black out on you.

It is a matter of practice to get your eye in the proper position as it is different for each eyepiece. Sitting down makes is to much easier and more comfortable to observe, including having your eye at the right position.

Observation Chair- Denver Chair – Works Great!
I built this one . It took about 2 hours. Can be built from scrap but if
you went all new, about $30.
http://valleystargazers.com/Chair.pdf