Thread: Wind power
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 10:25 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Dump load items

Hi Peter, I've been in my Southern Downs house now for a couple of years, completely off grid, as I think mentioned to you in an earlier post. 24V 4.5KW PV plus 48KW of SLA (used) battery storage. Works well. Must get around to building my new RO obs soon......but I've discovered gardening!

Last year I fiddled around with one of those ebay 5 blade Chinese 24V 400W jobs to see if I could salvage some night time wind, basically, like you, just to see if I could. Turned out that it would generate about enough power to charge a mobile phone. I did however, design and use an elcheapo ebay voltage controller and dump load, which functioned well and kept the turbine from overspeed in the process. The basic problem being that the little 1m diameter turbine just didn't have enough oomph to make a noticeable difference to my 48kAh of batteries. (2px12s 2V@1000Ah cells ex-telecom), which give me about three days of storage anyway, plus autostart genset backup.

To cut a long story short, the turbine still sits there and spins, until I get the motivation to pull it down. PV is far more cost effective. However, If you want the 200W dump load and controller bits, I would be happy to gift them to you, either by post or meeting somewhere. Can also do a schematic and photos if you're interested.

Cheers,