View Single Post
Old 21-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Foxy (James)

Hi peeps, My names James but everyone calls me Foxy. I have recently gone through some life changes, from a single guy wearing green and riding motorcycles for 15 years to now a husband and father that has forgon some of my passions (wife said know to putting a baby seat on the back of the bike).

After deciding that i spent to much time behind a computer screen I decided that I needed another hobby/ interest. After listening to somebody else that is going through the same thing I am, I decided to delve into Astronomy. Went onto the Gumtree and bought myself a Celestron Astromaster 70 EQ for $90.

Yes that probably wasn't the best desicion in my life but it was far from the worst. The first night I picked it up it took me over an hour to find the moon (the wife came outside a couple of times pointed at the moon and said "there it is" a couple of times)with it. Damn the EQ mount and my damn stubbornness to not look up how to use it. However once found it was well worth it. The second night it only took me 5 mins to find the moon thanks to the google. This has put a taste in my mouth that is leaving me wanting more.

I have just finished reading all posts of this forum so as not to ask too many stupid questions. Following all those links has lead to some interesting reading, and I have started listening to the Astro 161 podcasts.

After trying to find a telescope that would tick all the boxes for me, the first most, not taking up too much room in the 4WD as it is already chocked full of kid stuff and the wife's luggage on long trips. I have decided to start off small and work my way up, after a life of jumping in headfirst and asking questions later this is hard.

Decided to buy a set of binos that can be easily mounted to a tripod, so as the kid grows it will be easy for him to use. Was thinking about the Saxon 10x50 binos as they are on sale for $79. Combining that with a planoshere means I can stargaze from my hammock, should keep me going for a couple of months until I decide if I like it or not.

I am lucky enough to be located smack bang in the centre of 3 Astro clubs. BAS, SAS, and one out near the scenic rim. Am thinking about joining up with one of the 3, but unsure which one. Feel free to PM any advise on which club to join.

Sorry for the long intro, so I won't take up too much more of your time.

So as they say in my previous hobby, keep the shiny side up (:

Look foward to hopefully meeting some of you guys and girls and thanks to everyone for the wealth of information you have already provided to peeps like me.