View Single Post
Old 18-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Ru1s (Chris)

rustigsmed -> 20 seconds is sufficient for my needs right now. and awesome news. even better that no autoguider input means less expense right now.

raymo -> your correct the 8" is f5 and yeah upto about 1 sec exposure on orion nebula before unacceptable trails. I have managed reasonable stacks but was after longer. ( 15 - 30 seconds would be good ). the 14" is a f4.5 so shorter focal length = longer exposures ? my 8" isn't motorized at all. And yes schmidt cass and yeah f10 and 10 - 15 secs exposures tops.

dimithri86 -> thanks for the encouragement.

so here's what i am taking away from this conversation.

1 > The 14" goto being better ( the fact it's goto / tracking ) as opposed to my 8" full manual scope ( and not the most stable being a home made mount ), or my neighbours (not mine ) 6se ( so only have access sometimes and they want to use it too , it _IS_ theirs after all *giggle* ) is leaps and bounds better than my current setup,

2 > First and foremost _Visual_ use is primary the pictures are just nice to have. so it ticks that box. it _can_ do photography much the same as the 6se but due to the shorter F/ratio collects light quicker/better resolution ? (the 14" that is) so better than my current pictures.

3 > I'll have much better access to the 14" as it will be mine.

4 > I can (later when time and money permit) get a EQ mount for the 8" for proper photography.....

am i on the right track now ?
and thanks all for your patience and understanding.