View Single Post
Old 25-10-2013, 04:36 AM
1parsec (Dave)

Hello again,

I've been working on my NEQ6 / EQ6 belt kit for the last month or so and have just converted my NEQ6.

I wanted to use a 6mm wide belt and not have to modify the slots in the castings or any of the other tweaks usually required.

The belt mod I've already done on my HEQ5 had idler rollers to improve the belt wrap around the small pulley and this idea was put in to the NEQ6 too.
I made the idlers an optimum diameter so that the standard belt lengths used are a nice fit with the motor mounting adjustment in the centre of the slots.

Fitting the idlers on the NEQ6 allows belt path to be optimised to give a good clearance at the ends of the slots to make sure thet don't rub on the ends of the slots.
They also guide the belt to the centre of the slot too.
Not having the cut /grind /file the slots makes the mod relaively quick, taking about 1 1/2 hours.
It also eliminates the posibility of any swarf / filings remaining and contaminaing the worm wheel gear.

In order to do this I've made a new idler lower mounting plate and a new upper motor plate for each axis.
The additional benefit of the 2 plate arrangement means the upper motor plate has a nice flat surface to slide on when tensioning the belt
and makes it easier to find the loop on the end of the belt when placing the motor in position.

The mount is in my observatory now waiting for some clear skies so I can capture some tracking log data with the belts fitted.
I have a pre-mod track log using the original drive gearing for comparison.
I'll follow up with more details as soon as I can and with the tracking results when these clouds clear.
Cheers, Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NEQ6Belt1.jpg)
119.1 KB169 views
Click for full-size image (NEQ6Belt2.jpg)
116.8 KB162 views
Click for full-size image (NEQ6Belt3.jpg)
119.1 KB187 views
Click for full-size image (NEQ6Belt6.jpg)
114.6 KB360 views

Last edited by 1parsec; 25-10-2013 at 05:13 AM.