View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 PM
gregbradley

Binning is where software uses a mathematical routine to average or other calculations, the surrounding pixels to one value. So 2x2 binning means 2 pixels across and 2 pixels vertically are averaged (or whatever algorithim is used) to form one value so it acts like one giant pixel.

3 x3 uses 9 pixels, 4x4 16.

2x2 binning is often used with guiding as it increases the sensitivity of the camera by a factor. That factor would vary with chips but is something like 2X or more.

I often use 2x2 binning on narrowband where there is not a lot of fine detail and I want maximum details on a faint object. You usually would shoot luminance filters 1x1 as you want maximum resolution and colour can be done 2x2 as colour does not have sharp transitions ordinarily and you mainly want the colour to show through and it speeds up acquisition.

Some shoot everything LRGB 1x1 and this is a good approach when you want max resolution like a galaxy shot. Just expose for longer and you can also add the RGB component to the luminance by desaturating the RGB combine and adding it to the luminance to increase the signal.
I have done this and really did not see much of an improvement but every little bit can help.

Greg.