Thread: Why go bigger?
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Hi Dave, Been watching and reading a lot of the discussions lately on various scopes for imaging and gather from what you are saying that your main interest is in photographing nebulas. If this is the case then my advice would be one of the wider field scopes such as the FSQ or maybe an 8 or 10" Orion optics such as Mike Sidonio's new beast. May be these are quite expensive scopes but well worth the expense. I can relate to an FSQ as I have one and find the only drawback is the need to maintain focus with changing temporatures. At 7KG it is a beautiful flat field and with the 11000 is a huge field for even the big nebulas. The one thing with the Tak and the 11000 is often very small stars only fill just 1 pixel hence my move back to a smaller pixel size camera. I have plenty of images on my site from the 11000/FSQ combo under Atik 11000 images and recent images and some Hi res images.
Star size with the refractor is much smaller and more pinpoint than you will get with the RC's and Cassagrain scopes. Certainly a fast scope eleviates the need for appature to some degree.

Good luck