View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 11:34 AM
gregbradley

This notion of sensors getting thermal shock is an old controversial point.

It was brought up when Apogee cameras used a very slow cooldown and slow warm up routine. It was painful. It took 30 minutes to cool down a 16803 sensor.

If you got a power failure in the middle of the night and an imaging run it meant an hour delay. 30 minutes for warm up plus another 30 minutes of cooldown.

It often meant I missed getting dusk flats unless you remembered to start the camera up an hour before dusk. Watching the light levels fade whilst the camera inched slowly down in temperature was annoying to say the least.

When challenged about the need for this as no other camera makers required it the response was the owners background in aerospace and how thermal shock was a design requirement in that industry.

But there is no evidence of thermal shock from other camera makers and my Proline is now nearly 12 years old and no evidence of thermal shock.

So my advice is to ignore that requirement if it causes problems.
If you want to follow that thermal shock procedure then know its most likely not needed. The only caution here is that the above was about CCD sensors not CMOS. I have no reason to think there would be a massive difference as these CMOS sensors are digital cameras sensors meant to be used in a range of temperatures and I am not aware of any recommendation from the major camera makers to be careful of taking a camera from inside a warm room to outside in a cold environment.

Has anyone seen one?

Greg.