Thread: Sketching tips
View Single Post
Old 30-01-2015, 11:46 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Sketching rig and some dew control

Being comfortable while sketching is important. Keeps cramps at bay and makes the process much more pleasurable. Below is the rig I use for sketching DSO's, and some ways I keep dew under control as much as possible. I am exploring other methods, but these are a way off from being tested.

My main DSO scope is my 17.5" push-pull dob. While the eyepiece at zenith is not too high up, I, , still need one step up to reach it there (I blame my gene pool for this... , ). So I have a step ladder, which also comes in handy when other squirts like me, or little kids, have a look through the scope.

And, as the step ladder is only three steps, it has a tall supporting arch and a table that folds out to take pots of paint, brushes, whatever. This got me thinking on how I could exploit all this capacity. So, using the stuff I had already at home (net cost - bugger all! ), I came up with:

* A rig that hooks over the top of the supporting arch. The hook is placed just above the middle of the rig as it was the most useful position after playing around with different locations of the gross rig at different heights on the ladder and on chairs. The hook is also large enough in gape so I can hook it over most chair backs, including those plastic moulded ones that are frequently encountered.

* An MDF off-cut I shaped into a makeshift clamp with nothing more than a couple of countersunk bolts, and a pair of washers and wing-nuts. The sketch pad just slips under the loosened MDF 'clip' and I tighten the wing nuts. This also allows me to very easily rotate the sketch pad during a long sketch and I begin to notice rotation of the field.

* The 'shield' is a piece of black Coreflute. As I am right handed, it attaches from the left hand corner of the rig. It reaches some 10cm, 15cm beyond the right hand corner of the rig as it cannot come down that side or it would obstruct my sketching hand. The overhang allows for more protection from dew as it cannot come down that side.

* My feeble red lights I attach along the left hand side of the shield, and are aimed across the face of the page. This reduces how much glare is reflected back off the page to me. I can also reposition the lights as I need.

Dew protection by the sheild is pretty good. While things around me can be soaked, the paper barely begins to curl on the edges. Not total protection as the paper is still exposed to the air, and I breath on the page too. But dry enough to be able to work.

The pencil case I use is a BIG sucker. It is not packed with much, but its size is great to offer my materials shelter from dew, and its big mouth gives me easy access during the night. Again, not perfect, but as above, enough to keep me going.

When at home, I mainly sketch the Moon, and use my C8. I have the creature comfort of an observing stool now, . To protect my materials, I just use a box put on its side, and placed on a chair. My sketch pads I hold in my hands, so protecting it from dew is a lot more difficult. But there are measures I can take to help:

* Don't water the garden that afternoon or evening if you are thinking of doing a sketch. This will greatly reduce the amount of moisture in your yard.

* Consider the rainfall during the day or recent past as this will also release a lot of moisture into your evening yard.

* Understand your local weather patterns. Some places are more prone to heavy dew of a night time than others. If you live in a place that routinely gets soaked of an evening, it might inspire you to come up with ways to help you control this having too much impact on your situation.

* Work at a good pace. Stuff around or overwork a piece puts the paper at risk.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSO sketch pad (2).jpg)
107.0 KB144 views
Click for full-size image (DSO sketch pad (3).jpg)
110.3 KB138 views
Click for full-size image (DSO sketch pad (4).jpg)
119.4 KB125 views
Click for full-size image (Alex sketching Moon - lo res.JPG)
105.6 KB129 views