View Single Post
Old 20-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

Hello James,

I use a nexguide with a orion shorttube to guide a 9.25 sct. As far as I know it will guide any mount. I have a CGEM.
Sometimes it guides okay - other times I get drift, which I think is probably caused by differential flexure. The main problem with my set-up is that the nexguide only guides to a single pixel at best - and connecting to a PC for guiding isn't an option. I am guiding 2350mm focal length with a 400mm focal length guidescope - so any imperfections in guiding are magnified by about 6 times. Sometimes I get round stars - sometimes not. The best I have done is 4 minute exposures.
Also the 4d cell battery pack that comes with it only lasts about 2 - 3 hours at best. Apart from those issues it does work fairly well - I just need more clear skies so I can get more opportunity to play around with the settings.
The positive is that it is stand alone and fairly easy to use. Sometimes it is hard to find a guide star - but is easier with practice. I'm not familiar with any other AG. If your imaging FL is not too much higher than your guiding FL then it is probably worth trying it. I think the PC based AGs are sub-pixel and from what I have read they will definetely give better results.

Regards,
Tony.