View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Rex

G'day guys I only just saw this. I have had a Prostar LP- Guide mono for a little over a month now. I am using it as a guide camera so cannot comment on how they are for photography. My guide scope is a converted 50mm finder and the camera has no problems picking up stars to guide with. I did have a lot of issues with settings in PHD2, (uncontrollable oscillation in both RA and dec), when using the native "Toupcam ascom driver" that comes on the CD. However you can use the "WDM webcam"" setting in PHD2 for this camera and they work very well. You still have all the same adjustments available and you can adjust them while the camera is connected instead of only at connection. I have only had one full nights imaging after I swapped to the WMD driver but had an average total guide error over the entire night of 0.81". I am not sure but I think that's pretty good for a finder guide scope (certainly good for me up here in NQld). Anyway, point is for guiding once I swapped drivers It works very well. Was pulling my hair out for a couple of weeks, thought I had a dodgy cable, then thought a dodgy USB port, then checked backlash on my mount. Was just about to throw in the towel when I remembered reading that you can tell PHD that it is a webcam. Instant results, All settings in PHD2 have been returned to normal settings and it works every time. Just for the record, one night doesn't seem like much of a recomendation, but I use SGPro and my system runs automatically from a backyard observatory. My current project is a mosaic and the system moved eight times during that night, to take different panels, and had to pick up guiding and calibrate etc after each move, and the guider worked flawlessly, not one error in the logs at all. Hope that gives you some idea about them.