Thread: eq8 is here
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Stars look pretty round to me Ray. Maybe you need to get into the mount and adjust the backlash out. Have you taken a look at all to see if that is adjustable?
It is adjustable Paul, but SW is silent on how to do it - so there is an implication that fiddling around with it might invalidate warranty. Some of the mounts have backlash that varies with wheel position (I haven't checked this one and really don't want to know just yet) - these cannot be adjusted up fully without having the drive seize, and the motors have enough torque to damage things. I am wary of adjusting mine, but will probably have a look at it at some stage. In the meantime, there is stuff all PE and it guides very well if the backlash is managed. SW really needed to put spring loaded worms on them, but I guess that has its own set of problems and would probably have taken the cost well above current levels. As it stands though, it is a bit like a Russian military truck - big, tough and very capable, but with no frills or finesse (no tinsel ).

Last edited by Shiraz; 03-11-2014 at 11:26 PM.