View Single Post
Old 14-11-2019, 08:14 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi there,

I have an LX90, 8" so not sure how valid my observations will be but, here goes:

For planetary, wide angle is not so important. Furthest I could push mine on Jupiter was a 6mm fujiyama ortho. However, that was only one phenomenal observing nights, in general 9mm worked best for picking out good detail. Saturn with a 6mm was awesome & I could even Barlow that. Jupiter is very bright though so, when viewing was sub par, a lot of detail just got washed out at very high power. I own the vixen SLV's in 9/6/4/2.5mm they are extremely good in all the scopes I own & on par with the Japanese orthos I've recently sold but, much more comfortable to use. I'd have no hesitation recommending more of those for your collection for planetary observing.

For 'widefield', a whole 1.3 degrees in an 8 " SCT I used the Meade UWA 82 degree series but they are nigh impossible to get these days. The explore scientific 82 degrees work very well but, be warned, in the 2" 30mm series they weigh a whopping 1kg...Awesome views though with an almost immersive feeling on nebula such as Eta Carina & Orion...

The ES's are readily available & for what they are, reasonably priced but, not cheap.

If budget is an issue, look at the GSO Superviews, Sirius Optics SWA Eps, not in the same league as the ES's & Meade UWA but, still good views.

My $1.64 worth...