View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

It mentions NSW a lot, but much of those are good "rules of thumb" for elsewhere in Australia based on my (limited) understanding on the law relating to photography. I read up a bit on it after my above-mentioned hassles. If you stuck to the advice in that link, you'd be right in most states of Australia.

Other countries is another thing. I know when I was in Dubai, you are warned not to shoot women at all. That would be borne from religious beliefs, but may be a legal requirement in predominantly Muslim countries. I just didn't shoot people at all while there, just to be safe. And Dubai is one of the more Western-tolerant Middle-Eastern countries.

Street photography is the genre of photography I am most uncomfortable with, and see it as the most likely time to get hassled - parents thinking you're shooting their kids, hot-heads not wanting their photo taken etc. Not to mention hanging out in a busy city with thousands of dollars worth of cameras, lenses etc making you a bit of a target for mugging.

Macro, astro, landscape, animals for me all the way.