View Single Post
Old 19-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I know that I need to refocus every 1.5°C at an absolute max, 1° is better. Last night I focused at 11pm at 11.5° and by midnight it had dropped to 9.5°. The temperature drops for the rest of the night were not quite so extreme which is why I prefer a temperature set to focusing rather than time.

I have a full set of Astrodon LRGB and 3nm narrowband, technically they should all be parfocal (and probably are) but that is in a perfect world. The colour correction of refractors push that both ways. If last night is any indication my red and green filters are parfocal to one another but 13 microns shorter than the luminance but the blue is 15 microns longer. Technically they're all within the CFZ at F/5 but only just, I much prefer focusing on each filter. For some reason the narrowbands are less parfocal, probably just a consequence of being in a refractor.
In a reflector yo have to take the correction of the reducer/flattener into account as well.

I have wanted to give CCDAP a test go but when I installed the trail version it said my 30 trial was already over so I cannot even test it. I have in recent times started going down the path of mammoth mosaics; I gave SGP 45 minutes to try to create a 100 panel mosaic and it couldn't do it (crashed?). TSX does it in 10 seconds, ACP planner allows me to just select the panel, tell it was filter ect and it's done. In May next year I am planning on starting a 1000 panel (yes, you read that correct) mosaic of the Milky Way so SGP is now useless to me.
CCDAP is MUCH cheaper than ACP but I'm just not sure if it integrates into TSX the way I need it to.