View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 07:59 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Photographing the IIS

Hi,

I've done my customary search and found 2 threads, but neither answered my question, which is... would you be able to get a single snapshot of the IIS, with enough detail to know what it was, passing across the moon, using a 127mm f5 refractor?

Reason for asking is that Friday morning 00:18 and that night 23:43, the IIS passes across the moon and the ground path for centre crossing will only be a couple of kms east of my house. According to Calsky, I should be able to see it cross very close to centre of the moon even though I am roughly 1.3km NE of the ground path.

I've got both Nikon and Canon cameras, so have my choice of full frame or not. I have 3 scopes to choose from, 8" SCT (not wide enough FoV IMHO), 127mm doublet f5, and a 90mm f5.5 no-name Chinese doublet. I also have 300mm standard camera lenses, but I don't think they would show enough detail. Would the SCT be the better choice for detail and try to time it right?

I'm also looking for suggestions on settings. Would it be appropriate to use an ND filter to be able to keep the moon from over exposing or will really fast shutter speed be good enough. I'm guessing ISO 100-200 maximum.

Thnx in advance