View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks all for your comments
Appreciate it

Ryan
I started using the internal long exposure noise reduction function and the high ISO noise reduction function on my 600D when I first started AP standing next to my scope with a remote shutter hand controller 3 years ago before I learnt how to take darks. Unfortunately those images were lost when my old PC died so I have nothing to compare with today’s images taking conventional darks
Yes I agree limiting your exposure time does mitigate some of your noise but also reduces your good signal as well especially on the dimmer objects like mag 8 to 10 galaxies , so I suppose there is a juggling act between sub exposure time and number of exposures on various magnitude objects and of course your location ( I image in Sydney at Bortle 8 and at my weekender south coast NSW at Bortle 3 )
Im always guilty of pushing my DSLR to hard thinking long exposures and plenty of them will give me good data and then I can always process the noise out of the image later, but as we all know that’s just dreaming
My little home made cooling fan has helped a bit though
I might experiment this summer on one object like M42 with say a 2 , 3 and 4 minute exposure and use 3 options , internal noise reduction , conventional darks and a combination of both and see how well the noise is reduced after stacking and processing
Thanks again for your input , well received