View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:28 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thumbs up IceInSpace Star Party (Central Coast) - May 7th 2005

Hey guys.

IceInSpace is having it's first official IceInSpace Star Party on Saturday the 7th May 2005, on the Central Coast of NSW.

This is an open invite to everyone, including their families. Even if you don't own a scope, or even if you don't want to bring one, there'll be plenty of big scopes to look through. If you live on the central coast, or anywhere from newcastle to sydney or the blue mountains, we'd love to see you.

Date: Saturday 7th May 2005
Time: 4pm
Location: "The Paintball Place", Greta Road, Kulnura (click for map). Myself or Anthony (our host) will try and get some balloons at the major intersections along the way.. you'll have to try hard to get lost

(see pics at bottom of thread) Once you're on Greta road, turn left on the 1st driveway (it's only 100metres down the road, look for the sign). Take a slight left through the trees which will get you into the observing field. Park your car safely around the edges of the field. If you need to drive onto the field to unload your scope etc (if it's heavy), no problems.

For those that don't want to bring scopes or drive there, and want to catch the train, we could arrange some carpooling from Gosford Station.. Rod or myself could perhaps take 1-3 people each. Contact me to arrange this.

There'll be plenty of talent there, including some of the central coasts top amateur astronomers with telescopes as large as 20 inches.

The plan is to arrive around 4pm, so everyone can setup their scopes in daylight, and then have a BBQ early dinner where everyone can get to know each other.

BBQ/dinner/drinks
Info for the BBQ:
- Bring your own meat
- Onions, bread (or breadrolls), i'll supply.
- BBQ/Tomato sauce, we'll supply.
- Tea and Coffee will be supplied (I'll bring some milk)
- Bring your own softdrink, beer, wine for the dinner, and for the long night ahead.

The site has gas BBQ's, running water, flush toilets and limited240v power.

If you're keen to do astrophotography with your laptops, there's other areas on the field you can setup (behind some big mounds) where your laptop glow won't annoy anyone

Other things to think about bringing:
- Aeroguard
- Dew shields/zappers
- Hairdryers
- Tarp for the ground
- Red Torches
- Cold weather gear
- Portable power

Remember it'll be star party ettiquette.. while it's a social occassion, when it's dark, people want it to stay dark. So no white lights.

Reply with your expressions of interest, questions etc.

What if it's wet/cloudy?
In the most unfortunate event of wet or cloudy weather, we'll still be going ahead with the BBQ (get to know each other) and hope the clouds clear.. I'm sure there'll be plenty to chat about, maybe some cards, some beers, who knows?

(list will be updated as people notify of their availability)

Definites:
iceman (mike) + family (?)
rodstar (rod) + family (?)
frogman (anthony)
brendan (brendan)
trufflehunter (wayne)
seeker + family (narayan)
Orion (ed), tornado33 (scott), George, Patrick, h0ughy (David) + others from NAS
John H + family
atalas (louie)
Gary Kopff & Mai Tran
hector (andrew murrell)
james
Lesa Moore
Rodney Hunter

Maybes:
Greg Bryant
Dave Reneke
xelasnave

If I've forgotten anything or anyone, let me know.

Here's a few pics of the field (heavily compressed):

Where you enter from Greta Road.

Where you go down through the trees.

The field (looking northeastish):

The field (looking southwestish):

Last edited by iceman; 05-05-2005 at 10:01 AM.