View Single Post
Old 29-06-2015, 11:26 AM
rally

Couple of things worth throwing into the soup

I think there are two different routes - one for science purposes and the other for artistic and visual interpretation purposes.
Binning to gain an improvement in the SNR of the RGB channels especially for faint nebulae in the RGB colour channels and then non binning in the L channel for fine detail will give you "the cake and eat it too" !

The reason we appear to get something for nothing is the eye is very sensitive to luminous and contrast changes (more so than colour detail) - so the L channel will "trick" the eyes into seeing the enhanced colour detail in the RGB channels.

Something I have often wondered about is the actual size of the telescopes image circle, not just the useful spot size.
So whilst the focal length of the scope and the f ratio are known (and for higher end scopes so is the image circle) the image circle and its effect on light gathered at the CCD is often ignored.
I think its assumed that all light from the scopes aperture at the focus point is being harnessed - but is that the case for all scopes ?
ie is there light that is simply being focussed that is not on the CCD at all.

If that is the case ? (and I am asking the question rather than stating a fact) - is this not a factor that will affect efficiency ?