View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM
SusieQ (Susie)

Unexpected newbie...

Hi everyone,

As the subject says, I'm an unexpected newbie. My dad died a few months ago and yesterday my mum asked if I wanted his telescope, or she would give it away. Sadly, I never took up my dad's numerous offers to go stargazing with him so I'm at a loss. I want to learn how to see what he saw though, maybe it might bring him a little bit back into my life. (That and I want to show my brother - Mr Telescopes-aren't-for-girls - that he's go no idea what he's talking about.)

Anyway, Dad being dad, didn't keep any of the manuals so I've been googling and am more confused than ever. I've discovered that the telescope is a Saxon 8 inch Dobsonian which, by all accounts, is good for beginners like me. (Gee, it's heavy though!) There's the little scope at the top which is the finder scope but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use that to calibrate something or what I'm really supposed to do with it. And I have a box of pieces that screw into the bit you look into I can't quite figure out what they all do.

In addition to all this I have a storage dilemma - Dad kept the telescope in his shed and just rolled it out at night (I think he put the wheels on himself, I don't see any other ones with wheels). I don't have a shed, just a back verandah but I'm guessing that wouldn't be weather proof enough...??

To top it all off its raining and cloudy again tonight so I can't just go outside and start experimenting for myself. Ill take any advice I can get at this point.

Thanks in advance

SusieQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (telescope1.jpg)
143.5 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (telescope2.jpg)
176.9 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (telescope3.jpg)
199.8 KB54 views