View Single Post
Old 26-06-2018, 04:41 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Probably the only thing to remember with the Baader zoom is that it has a relatively narrow FOV. Having said that, I own two of them and love them - one for a refractor (with a 2.25 matching barlow) and the other for my C9.25 SCT. My scopes are dual mounted on an AZ-EQ5 so I can view alongside my daughter. With a tracking mount, a narrower FOV isn't so much of a bother. However, if you're using push-to with the zoom EP, you may find that you're constantly nudging the scope when the FOV is narrow, especially during higher power viewing. Food for thought anyway.

With a 2" filter, remember that you won't be able to mount the filter if you're using the Baader barlow. The barlow will extend beyond the 2" barrel on the eyepiece. You may not even want to do that as the magnification is likely to be fairly big with the barlow on anyway - killing a lot of light in an 8".

It's all a balancing act at the end of the day mate. You buy the eyepieces / filters that will suit the majority of your viewing targets most closely - kill as many birds with one stone as you can