Thread: Focusing issue
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2021, 09:09 AM
Rusty2

Hello again !
Wow , what a frustrating hoby ! Can anyone suggest a pshychologist ?

So , I bought a hotech collimator , used it about 7 times now to get used to how it all works although It would appear from the screenshot and halo below that I haven't perfected the process , all good , I'll get there .
I also bought a moonlight dual focuser and finally (with mirror lock) the scope now stays in focus .

There does seem to be an improvement in sharpness while observing but judging from the screenshot below but I'll have to go through the process again .

I took the gear out last night and setup on the driveway , got polar alignment , messed around with backward tracking issues , swapped guide scopes , made sure I was in focus and started snapping away hopeing that I'd fixed all the previous issues .

Looking at the photos this morning I noticed elongated stars , varying in elogation between shots . I looked around for answers and found that it's probably me packing up the gear and the concrete slab is moving the telescope , I'll be more careful next time .

I did notice something odd in the screenshot below and is present in all light frames . Yes it's blown out to highlight 2 anomalies at the bottom of the screenshot . I looked on Stellarium and expected to see nebula or a galaxy in the vicinity but there isn't anything there . The anomalies aren't in the dark frames that I also took last night .

Any ideas ?
I appreciate this website and the help you've given me and many others , thank you !
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Betelgeuse.jpg)
161.1 KB105 views