View Single Post
Old 30-11-2008, 01:33 PM
drahyrt (Steve)

Thanks Mick, I'll post it along to her, she'll be very happy to hear that. I'll keep learning!

Hey Jungle,

Yeah went well, the newt I have was amazing, only 6" but incredible, I believe I actually said "wow" as a first word! Really looked like a sparkling diamond.

I had only a very very short first light to the south east due to clouds and rain. I managed to see Conopus and was amazed at just how bright it was through the scope.

The positioning went well, not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be so far, but it was a quick point and look rather than really measuring or targeting something, so I'll see. Didnt have any eyepiece issues either, yet.

I judged the clouds well as it poured from nowhere just minutes after I brought the scope inside.

Today looks like it is clear, hoping to get some better views to the west, south and north tonight, just to give it a whirl. I also want to get some planet action!

I have some reading and it appears that getting it in the right orientation at the beginning is one key to the mount, but once it is, hopefully tracking the movement is just as simple as twirling the RA knob.

Funnily enough I thought I had a dark environment, until I felt like throwing a stone through my neighbours window to "defuse" a light, and the street lights also some 500m away cast a lot.

So I am hooked!

Now I just have to start my journey with getting to know the night sky a little better, oh well, only have about 50 years until I'm dead, no rush....