View Single Post
Old 22-08-2008, 03:43 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalderAsir View Post
Thanks for that one, i understand that. The charts i was referring to are here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=1878

If i am reading things right, i take a chart, align myself to north, angle up to the relevant declination eg +65, then rotate 15deg right per hour? on the chart?

or am i completely off track?
Well it depends on which chart. That's why we'd need to look at the actual chart you are trying to use. Even then, might be hard to explain in words.

If the skymap I directed you to will do for the moment, use that. In theory, you hold it above your head, align north on the map with north, then that is the view of the sky at the nominated time on the map. Actually it is set for Sydney. For us, what you see in the sky is moved a bit towards the North, compared with the map.

After your arms get tired , just hold the map towards the horizon and align the cardinal point on that horizon with the same point on the map. Then looking from the horizon up to the zenith is the same as looking from the edge to the centre of the map.

So much easier to do then to explain. You need to get together with someone.