View Single Post
Old 24-12-2013, 11:55 PM
budich (Budi)

That is awesome ! helped me so much, eventhough still didnt get it on some parts, but yea thanks for your help, i'll take a look of that mag you recommended for tmr .

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipheaven View Post
Yep that is the kind of map I'm talking about. I'd still recommend going to your local newsagent and picking up a copy of the Australian Sky and Telescope. The maps in there are very clear and easy to read.

I'll use the instructions listed in the magazine to help explain how to use the map.

Go outside and turn the map around so the label you're facing is right side up. For example, face south, and then hold the map so the word south is facing right side up. At this point you'll notice that west is on the right hand side of the map, and east is on the left hand side. This will also be the case with your actual directions - when facing south, west is also on the right, and east on the left. The curved edge of the map will now represent the horizon. You'll notice the southern cross (or crux) is on the edge of the map, i.e. on the curved edge of the map. Crux is also low on the horizon. Moving away from the edge of the map towards the middle of the map corresponds to moving away from the horizon towards the point directly over your head (known as the zenith). Stars halfway between the middle of the map (zenith) and the edge of the map (horizon) are located in the sky halfway between the horizon and zenith.

An example from the magazine reads as follows -

Face north east. Now turn the map around so the label "facing north east" is the right side up. About halfway between the edge of the map and the centre of the map is the star Procyon. Now look north east, halfway between the horizon and the zenith (point directly over your head). There's Procyon.

It takes a bit of getting used to. I found it hard a first corresponding stars and lines on the maps to the night sky, but stick with it. It will eventually get easy and you'll soon be star hopping your way around the sky in no time at all.

Also that map you've linked to on the thread is for the northern hemisphere. You need to make sure you stick with the southern hemisphere maps. So if you were in the northern hemisphere and you followed the instruction above and faced north east, the star Capella should be roughly half way between the horizon and the zenith.

Hope that helps.