Thread: Canon 300d
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 03:00 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Aragorn

256 meg will take 16 "standard" photos in RAW (ie landscape, portrait) but about double that for simple star images as so much of the information is just black. For bright nebs like orion, don't know, maybe somewhere inbetween. I'm still mucking around with mine, basically still giving it its shake down. I use the 512 card. And incidently you don't get a card when you buy the camera. That is an extra.

The cable release is not expensive, I think Paul's about right but will have to check my receipts. The remote release is more expensive, plus is battery operated. However it does remove the need to be in contact with the camera in anyway when firing the shot. There is also a 300d hack available that raises the 300d to 10D status, one of the benefit being it allows you to have mirror prefire or mirror lock, further reducing camera movement when firing. I can give you the link if you decide to get a 300d.

I'm not much of a lense officionado so I can't help you there though the one that comes with the camera seems to be an ok lense. Better than the earlier EF lenses that I bought for my EOS 500, but it is a zoom with its inherent problems associated with zoom lenses taking astro shots (slow f ration, potential for zoom to shift when pointed in the up position etc)

Hope this has helped. If you want prices for the various items let me know and I'll PM you

Cheers