View Single Post
Old 14-05-2016, 08:35 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

USB powered dew heaters

This is a question for those with more technical "nouse" than I. I was looking a dew prevention options for my imaging rig and it occurred to me that I have a powered USB hub sitting there that can put out 5v through each usb port. Would it be possible to build a small USB device that you could simply plug into a powered hub and use that power to run a dew heating strap?
The internals would be very simple, all it needs to do is control the current in the strap itself so a very simple control program to do that is all that is needed. I envisage something as small as a memory stick with the cord for the strap coming out the back. I can run a DVD burner of this hub so i am sure it would have the capacity to run a simple dew strap.

Anyway this came about because it is proving difficult to source a mount hub pro which has more options but this way you could have at least a USB hub to run cameras etc and a basic anti dew system at a lowish cost.

Just to be clear, my knowledge of electronics is rudimentary at best so feel free to shoot down my idea.

Malcolm