View Single Post
Old 15-11-2012, 01:36 PM
ath (Andrew)

Yet Another Eclipse Shot... ...Melbourne

Yeah, I know, yet another Eclipse shot, thought I'd share nonetheless. At least if my house burns down or something I know there'll be a copy on here somewhere!

I would have slept through this event if it wasn't for a friend calling me to say it looked damn special through his welders mask. I raced out with my scope and solar filter and hooked my DSLR to my T-Ring and fired off a few shots in the car park of the block of flats I live in. Needless to say I had a few people giving me weird looks at that time of morning. (Then again I get weird looks even when I'm not holding a telescope at 8AM)

These two images are the most in focus shots I managed to get before having to pack up and head to work. Live View saved me! These were taken in the suburb of Hawthorn at approx. 8:07AM EDST with a Nikon D7000 using Prime Focus through my Skywatcher 90mm Refractor.

I've edited the RAW's in Lightroom 4, added a bit of Clarity, plus chromatic abberation reduction using the Lens Correction tool to rid it of the purple flaring at the edges and finally added a hint of orange for that familiar 'sun look'.

Certainly not the best eclipse shots I've seen (so many great ones on here), but I am wrapt I got something on the sensor nonetheless!!

Can anyone confirm whether the 'rocky' edges of the moon are actually craters on the moon's surface that I am seeing or perhaps a result of heat waves in the atmosphere? Would love to know...

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (_ATH4538-4.jpg)
111.0 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (_ATH4534_500.jpg)
151.7 KB42 views