View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Yes, it is disappointing there is not more observing activity posted. I guess I am guilty of this too as I only post a very small fraction of my observations. I am a keen and active visual observer interested in a broad cross section of targets and observable events. I have a particular interest in observable transient events but only manage to see just under 50% of the events I am interested in - the events are time specific and the clouds are blissfully unaware of my needs. then, time gets away from me and I wonder who would be interested any way. Interest in the night sky these days is dominated by astro imaging and as you say there are alway plenty of equipment junkies in the back ground.

By the way, your reference to H 4876 has me slightly confused. I browsed Sky Safari last night to find the double star and it’s position within NGC 6193 to give me a feel for the target and the surrounding star field. Sky Safari lists the brightest star in NGC 6193 as HR6187 and does not give H 4876 as an alternative catalogue number. Visual magnitudes are listed at 5.57 and 8.39 with a separation of 1.7” at 9.0 degree. So It would have to be the same double star. I have not had a chance to reference other charts.

Do post about your nearby favourite triple when you have a free moment!