View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Astro78
Tripping in Space

Thanks Al, Mr.B and others.

Well we'll be taking my girlfriends compact with plenty of cards, this is the insurance camera. The little cannon takes very good photos and batteries last all day. It's just a little boring to use, being way too automated.

The Olympus OM-1 is slowing leaking funds away from the trip. Had to buy a mercury battery converter, allowing us to use today's manufactured batteries. Seems the old mercury batteries were banned some time ago. $50 odd.

Also I decided to clean the prism mirrors and get a clearer image through the viewfinder, despite knowing something would go wrong. Alas Acetone straight onto the plastic focusing screen! $60 odd replacement.

Good to hear the 400 speed is recommended Al. Wasn't sure if it would be 'too
grainy'. Might take some 100 for any super sunny days as well but use 400 as the staple. The light meter's untested but it certainly operated in some capacity when original batteries still had juice. Fingers crossed no problems here.

Managed to get a 50mm F1.8 lens which is yet to arrive. So this and the 28mm are the planed combo. I think the zooms will have to wait. They seem a bit more expensive and look rather heavy and bulky while traveling.

So about 1/30 is the limit by hand? Any other tips please let me know .. thank you, Travis