View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex i have built two cold finger cooled DSLRs (Canons) and one peltier cold box, and in my experience only one method is worth the effort. A proper internal cold finger that cools the sensor back, with a peltier powred by a PWM circuit and a thermo sensor mounted on the cold finger near the sensor. RCheshire here on IIS has written a manual on how to do it, and there are several cold finger build threads in the archives here if you want to search for it.
Your problems are going to be, internal condensation, and cooling effectively in the right place. Peltiers mounted to cool camera bodies are next to useless. Desicants can work inside a sealed box but i have not seen one work well inside a dslr. Gas purging (with something like Argon) does work on cold finger cooled dslrs, i have one that is over three years old and it still works perfectly, cooling the sensor to below -10C with no condensation, but the camera must be sealed (in my design i use a plastic ziplock bag in which the camera is inserted and then sealed inside with the bag filled with Argon.
There are heaps of examples of cooled dslrs on the internet but 90% are junk and do not work at all. There is still one guy trying to sell external peltier kits, but the solution will eventually destroy the camera due to condensation.