View Single Post
Old 20-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Wavytone

One of my most memorable paragliding flights was a morning where I launched from Mt Blackheath, locked into the resident thermal and spiralled up to cloud base at 2000m...

...as I got into the thermal I didn't realise I was being followed... until I levelled out and went "pedal to the metal" west towards Jenolan... looked out to my right wingtip to see - the local wedgie had joined in. Him looking at me, looking at him, looking at me.

We flew straight like that, tip to tip, for the best part of 20 minutes till he out-climbed me at the next cloud as his turning circle was tighter

Magic.

One thing is interesting - when gliding the wedgies observe the same rules in thermals and will follow the gliders - first one in sets the turn pattern (left or right spiral), and the rest follow the same, spiralling for the climb up. It's kind of obvious thing to do, if you fly at about the same airspeed and can turn tight enough to fly formation with them. Hang-gliders can't though, as their airspeed is a lot higher, and their turning radius much larger.

The one trick the PG pilots had if a wedgie got aggressive was to hit the brakes and fly slowly... most PG's can fly below the stall speed of the wedge tails, then go dive into a series of wingovers or a full-on spiral dive at 4G's, which the eagles can't follow.

Last edited by Wavytone; 20-05-2019 at 08:56 PM.